Welcome to Reception, where we have two classes of 30 children.
The unit is split into different areas to allow the children to participate in a wide range of activities across the seven areas of learning.
The children have opportunities to learn both in the classroom and outside in our well equipped Foundation Stage garden.
In Numeracy we cover counting and comparing numbers, learning names and properties of 2d and 3d shapes, money, position and direction, days of the week, weight and capacity.
We follow the letters and sounds approach for phonics and use Oxford Reading Tree Scheme for Reading.
Music – We sing Nursery Rhymes and investigate rhythmic patterns and moving to a steady beat.
Art – Our art work will involve activities which encourage the children to explore texture and pattern.
Please speak to your child’s class teacher if you would like more information about the curriculum.
We welcome and appreciate parents help in reception. All helpers must have a background check.
- Reception Transition Video (204KB)
- Reception Curriculum Information (394KB)
- Oxford Tree Reading Characters (216KB)
- Wow Template (26KB)
- Wow letter (229KB)
This week we have been getting to know our routines, exploring our indoor and outdoor classroom and meeting new friends. The activities we have been doing include:
- Sharing our focused book ‘The Color Monster’ and learning to talk about our feelings
- Creating ‘Todd Parr’ inspired pictures
- Developing our fine motor skills during ‘Busy Fingers’
- Learning the initial sounds: s, a, t, p. Listening hard for the initial sounds in words as well as blending and segmenting to read a word
- Talking about numbers, ordering numbers and going on a ‘number hunt’ in the outside classroom